What kind of problem should I call about?

MILS can help with many legal problems, check out the list of legal areas we can assist. 

What if my problem is not on the list?

If your problem is not on the list, other resources may be available:

Check out our self-help and educational information.

Contact your local Legal Services Office.

For state or federal criminal cases, please ask for a court appointed attorney.

Call the Michigan Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service at (800) 968-0738 or the Modest Means Program (connects moderate-income people with attorneys who offer reduced-cost legal assistance)

Am I eligible for help?

Our Eligibility page reviews what MILS uses to determine eligibility. 

Will it cost me money?

MILS provides services to income-eligible people thanks to funding from Legal Services Corporation, grants, and donations. Clients do not have to pay MILS for its services but may have to pay for filing fees, transcripts, service of papers or other costs unless a court waives them. Clients will be consulted first if they must pay any such expenses.

What information do I need to provide?

You will need to provide information including:

• Wages and salary before any deductions

• Income from self-employment after deductions for business or farm expenses

• Regular payments from governmental programs for low-income persons or persons with disabilities

• Social Security payments

• Unemployment and worker’s compensation payments

• Strike benefits from union funds

• Veteran’s benefits

• Training stipends

• Alimony, child support

• Military family allotments

• Public or private employee pension benefits

• Regular insurance or annuity payments

• Income from dividends, interest, rent, royalties

• Per capita distribution of tribal gaming revenues;

• Other regular or recurring sources of financial support that are currently and actually available to the applicant.

Does not include:

• Value of food or rent received in lieu of wages

• Money withdrawn from a bank

• Tax refunds

• Gifts

• Compensation and/or one-time insurance payment for injuries sustained

• Non-cash benefits, including food stamps, Medicaid

• Up to $2,000 per year of funds received by individual Native Americans