Indian Ancestry & Tribal Enrollment

A lot of the research on Native American ancestry does not require an attorney. MILS will help individuals if they face legal barriers to getting needed information, especially if there have been adoptions in the family tree. Having Indian ancestry is different than being a tribal member. Tribes, as sovereign governments, set their own citizenship rules. These are often found in the tribe’s constitution. Also, most tribal governments have created enrollment ordinances and have special offices for this purpose.

The BIA has information on Enrollment and Genealogy and applying for a CDIB through the BIA (some tribes issue their own CBID and you need to contact the tribal enrollment offices).

If you need additional assistance, please contact MILS at 231-947-0122. 

Tracing your Family History

Tribal Enrollment